Making a Referral

Everybody working with vulnerable people is responsible for making sure, within their Codes of Practice, that no action or omission on their part harms the wellbeing of service users.

If you are aware of any vulnerable person who has been harmed or abused or is at risk of harm you must report it.

Online reporting

For professionals who have concerns about a person with care and support needs that they are working with, please use this form:

You can still contact the team via telephone: 0845 0507 666

Out of hours emergency: 0800 833408 (free-phone)

Unsure if it’s a safeguarding issue? If you’ve encountered an issue and are unsure if it is a safeguarding issue or not you can call and request a consultation with the Safeguarding Triage Team. They can be reached on 01865 328232. This is only for new issues where you are unsure if it is a safeguarding issue, it is not for discussion of open safeguarding cases. Please note the Triage Team will ask you to complete the form above if after discussion the issue is deemed to be a safeguarding one.

I’m working with an adult in the family but have concerns about a child, what do I do?

Professionals, employees, managers, helpers and carers in all agencies must make a referral to Children, Education and Families if it is believed or suspected that a child is suffering or is likely to suffer significant harm. Any such referral must be made as soon as possible when any concern of significant harm becomes known – the greater the level of perceived risk, the more urgent the action should be.

To report a new concern
To report a concern of abuse or neglect, please contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 0845 0507666 or you can complete the online MASH enquiry form at

To talk about an on-going concern
If you want to speak to someone about an already open case, contact the relevant Children’s Social Care Team;

  • Oxford City – 01865 328563
  • North Oxfordshire (including Banbury, Witney, Bicester, Carterton and Woodstock) – 01865 323039
  • South Oxfordshire (including Faringdon, Wantage, Thame, Didcot and Henley) – 01865 323041
  • Emergency Duty Team (out of hours) – 0800 833 408